View My Stats

Monday, March 22, 2010

THE MINUTES CONTINUE...and photo of writing tools



I haven't written anything on the blog in a handful of days because the weather has lured me outside. I thought about a line in Gone with the Wind and I think it was spoken by Big Sam. He said something about Rhett Butler once and maybe it was in reference to the baby Bonnie Blue Butler, but it went something like this: "That baby works on him just like a tonic." Well, the warm Spring weather does that to me and I can't help but be outside digging and transplanting the jonquils which pop up randomly in places around the yard. I want to leave some where they are, but they need dividing so I have a wonderful supply of jonquils to move into beds throughout the yard here and it really helps me to not focus on worries. My goal is to do what a friend of mine did at another old house nearby and that was to have a garden viewable from every window of the house. Isn't that a great idea? So, I'm working on it.


The photo at the top is a beautiful writing box that has been here at Green Mount since probably about the time the Evergreen Society's journals began. It belonged to "Lou" the eldest daughter and it still holds one of her name cards as well as the points and inkwells she used. Some of her entries into the minutes were probably written using these. I don't know what sort of pen clipped into these various points, but maybe someone reading will know. If so, please comment below and share with us. I guess I could google that one. Perhaps a wooden pencil of some sort slipped into the points and has somehow gotten misplaced or broken. It's a pretty set though. I should try to write something using these implements. It is more laborious to write using such tools, but it's fun because it reminds me of painting. Penmanship sure has gone by the wayside for most of us. I really do appreciate beautiful handwriting though.


Speaking of that, the next two journal entries must have been written in an ink that fades easily. I had to use a magnifying glass to be able to read the minutes as they were barely visible on the old pages. But here they are...


Oct. 12 (not dated, but should have been around that date)


This is really not my time to write this record, as I am not next in age to Lucy, but as I am one of the old scholars, and all of the old ones have to write before the new, it falls to my lot to perform this task.
We opened our meeting by reading one half of the thirty first Psalm. Then Miss Florence read Lucie's account of the last meeting which was very amusing and which we enjoyed very much especially as she was not here to take part in our entertainment herself.

Nannie played her own arrangement of "Mockingbird" which was very pretty. Mattie repeated a very pretty piece called "Perserverance", very well, much better than she ever repeated anything. Lou played Les Borders due Rhein very well, and Miss Lou complimented her.
Lulie read "A Lament for the Reapers" which was very appropriate at this season. Mattie Kate read "Half Way Doings" which is a very good sermon preached by a negro. Sallie played "Mountain Zephyr's."
Miss Lou read a very pretty piece about a walk which two boys took. One of them did not enjoy the walk at all, while the other saw an endless number of interesting things. There was a very good lesson to be learned from it, but I have not time to write it here.
(not signed, but could be Sallie...?)
Green Mount
Oct. 20, 1880
How sorry I am that I'm so old. For Miss Lou says that all of the old girls must write first & this evening falls to my lot. I think I can safely say though that after Miss Lou has read this, she will very sweetly excuse me for further services. We opened the exercise as usual by reading a Psalm. Then we all adjourned to the msuic room & Lucy took up the collection.
Lulie played "Bohemian Girl" which I thought she played very well considering "She didn't know it." I believe though most of the girls say that when they get up to play. Nannie read "Hold on, Hold on, Hold on." It teaches a very good lesson which I don't remember. Lucy played "Shall We Gather at the River" which was followed by a sweet little verse from Mattie.
Sallie read "Rock Me to Sleep." It shows how very important sleep is and also the importance of going to bed early. Mattie Kate played "Angels Voices Ever Near."
Miss FLorence and Lou were not present having gone to the marriage of Dr. Henly and Miss Dora Walker. I am glad he has at last married the object of his choice for I hear he has been in love with her ever since he was a little boy in dresses. I think it teaches a good lesson of perserverance to the end. I would write some more but Miss Lou is calling me to walk.

NF

No comments:

Post a Comment