View My Stats

Sunday, March 7, 2010

MAY'S MINUTES BEGIN...Spring is in the Air and so are Weddings!

It's beautiful today, a warmer than usual 60 degrees and the sun is shining. I found two flowers peeking out today in the front yard. Spring is in the air and it feels so nice after all the snow we have encountered. Is this a form of crocus?

May's minutes begin...
Green Mount
May 5th, 1880
Well! to my great sorrow, my turn has come to keep the record. I think I ought to be excused as it is my birthday, but cousin Florence would not. We commenced by reading 22nd Psalm. Vir read "The Question and the Answer," very well. Lucy played "Shall We Gather at the River", with a great deal of expression, and cousin Florence requested her to play it again. Lou read "I'm Growing Old." Sallie played "Love in May" splendidly. Mattie K. read "Sometimes", it is a beautiful piece. Cousin Florence played "Music of the Sea" & "Spinlede"(?). They are both grand pieces. Cousin Lou & Attie went to church to clean it up. We enjoyed the evening exceedingly.
Lou (M. Lou Henley)

May 12th, 1880

I am sorry to say that my turn has come again, and to tell the truth I am ashamed to write my account after all interesting ones which have been given. We opened by reading the 23 Psalm. Little Attie played "God Save teh King" very well. She has a decided talent for music and I reckon, will make a fine perfomrer some day. Jinnie read "I cannot forget" very well. Lucie read "How to Build Up a Character" which is a splendid piece and was read splendidly. Lou played "Fleetwood March" very nicely, but not as well as I have heard her, as she did not have her notes. Mattie Fleet recited a little humn beginning "The Lord our God is full of might." Sallie read "The Cross and the Crown". Mattie Kate played "Juanita" beautifully. It is one of my favorites, and I enjoyed it very much. Atie read "The Compass bewitched" very well. I am delighted to record just here that one of old and loved school-mates Miss Ellen Y. Garlick was present and added much to the enjoyment of the evening by playing "La Fontaine" splendidly. Miss Lous wished me to record that two more of her girls have been married. Miss Ella Faunt Le Roy to Dr. Webb, April 21st 1880 & MIss Millie Belle rump to Mr. Dew, May 11th 1880. I must also record that the birthday present which we gave Miss Lou, a set of vases, has been nearly finished and have been brought in to brighten us up.

I have looked ahead to see there is only one more entry for this school year. I will post it separately...


No comments:

Post a Comment