View My Stats

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sallie Blount (Mahood) - her autobiography found!



Last week when Kelly and Page visited we discussed one of the girls who had been a student here and is the writer of many of the minutes in the journal which you have been reading. Sallie Lee Blount spent four years at Green Mount and mentions her memories here in a book she authored later in life, Sallie Lee Mahood~Autobiography. I was able to find two copies of her book on amazon.com and ordered both. One arrived today and what a treasure. Her description of life here at Green Mount is wonderful. I have now learned from her writing which room in the house was the music room and which the classroom. I had figured them wrongly. I will also scan the pages of her book where she discusses the four years of living here for the school terms. I hope you will agree that she adds a whole new chapter to the history of the girls who were educated at Green Mount. I give thanks to Kelly and Page and to Sallie for making this find a reality.


Below you will find the pages from her book copied. I hope you will enjoy her description of life here at Green Mount as much as I. These copies are legible, but not vivid. If I raised the quality or resolution or size, the kilobytes become so great that I think they would be very slow to load. So I am keeping them this size. If you can't read them please contact me at flytiger@bealenet.com and I will email you better copies. If you're like I am, just put on two pair of your reading glasses for a couple of minutes- it doubles the magnification! Click on each page and the photos of the pages below will enlarge. She begins on page 18, after her mother has passed away...














No comments:

Post a Comment